Friday 22 February 2013

Holiday post no.7

Today was pretty damn good. Much better than yesterday. It started off pretty much the same way it has for most of this week, wake up late, go skiing and come back then relax. Today followed that pattern except I decided to go out shopping with my parents later on.

Today we skied in a a new area, in the valley around the resort 'Tignes'. We went there to go to the top of the mountain, to ski down the glacier. It was rather a long journey to get there, as we had to get to the highest point of one of the surrounding mountains, but then had to get all the way to the top of the Tignes mountain range at around 3500m. With this fact, I would have expected that it would be very cold up there, however as it was a very still day, the cold was minimal compared to what it would be on an average day. The runs down there were also not especially icy, as type of mountain range would suggest. I really enjoyed the pistes around the top here, and also down the bottom of the mountains, as many of the runs were fairly steep and had a fair amount of powder on them; these factors were great as they made it not too tricky to speed down a lot of it!
While we were in this area, we stopped for lunch at a rocky outcrop that was a fair distance off piste. We chose this area because the view around there was astounding; the snow had been barely touched by skiers, and the views were great because of the height we were at. It was a little tricky getting back to the piste as the snow was so deep, i mean if you really tried, you could probably sink to waist height I expect. I took some pictures while I was up on top of the glacier and this rocky outcrop because the views from both locations were amazing.


The mechanism of the cable car up to the glacier

A view of the mountains around the glacier

A view of the mountains around the glacier

A view of the mountains around the glacier

A view of the mountains around the glacier

A view from the rocky outcrop

A view from the rocky outcrop

A view from the rocky outcrop

A view from the rocky outcrop

Also during today, I took a video of me skiing down a small section of  run. The video wasn't that good as I was skiing down, phone in hand, not using poles..but that isn't my main concern. I think that it come out with very bad quality but I shall see when I post it. You may also have to turn your head sideways to watch it..but it's the best i could do!


Later on tonight, I went out shopping with my parents, and was surprised to see some sort of street carnival type event going on! There were people with costumes on, holding floating balloons in the air. There was a pair of people dressed in an old divers style costume (with the large, round brass helmet) holding a large whale balloon. One of the best costumes I saw was a man dressed up as a penguin, in a suit. Anyway, in the street, there was also a small bandstand, with two people playing music. One person was playing guitar and the other was singing. Their set was obviously catered towards young children as it was all very interactive, but I still found it over all entertaining to watch. I was also in wonder at how the guitarist could play well in the cold, as it couldn't have been any warmer than -2 or so degrees C...
Also in the street, there was a stall that was handing out free hot chocolate and heated wine; I of course chose the wine. The streets were also lined with lit up multi coloured shapes.
Over all, this unexpected event was wonderful, it was something that was just so unnatural for me to find anywhere near where I live.
After wandering about the street for a bit, we finally went into the supermarket and got the shopping done. We then came back to the apartment then a little while later had supper. My father had cooked some steaks, which tasted wonderful.

I apologise for the lack of structure in this second part of the post; I had written the first part earlier, and now I am finishing it off a little too late (it is currently 12.24!)
Tomorrow is the last day of skiing! I'm both happy about this and also disappointed, this week has gone by very fast. I am happy about this because it means that I am soon returning home, back to normality and my friends. The disappointment in this is obvious, because well this week has been great, but I guess you can have too much of a good thing though.

I'm going to leave it here, I don't have that much more to say, and besides, the writing would not be that good anyway because i'm tired.


No comments:

Post a Comment